Do you have what it takes?
In April, 2019, the Nordic Junior Curling Tour (NJCT) hosted the first ever NJCT U21 Mixed Doubles Championships. It included 12 teams from 6 countries curling at the Sundbyberg Curling Center (home club of Anna Hasselborg) for the “Spirit of Curling” trophy. Two of those twelve teams came from Canada and qualified through the Junior Slam Series.
In 2020, the Junior Slam Series will once again be qualifying two Canadian teams, one from an event in Ontario, and the second from an event in the Maritimes. Qualifying teams will travel to Stockholm, Sweden, paid for by the Junior Slam Series, and get a chance to add their names to the spirit of curling trophy.
Curl Moncton will hold the qualifier for the maritime region. The event includes
- 10 U18 teams
- 10 U21 teams.
- Round robin games at teams age level
- Round robin results will be used to seed the playoffs
- U18 & U21 teams will play against each other in the playoffs
- Event championship invited to join the Junior Slam Series in Sweden in the spring of 2020
- Top ranking U18 team after the round robin will earn a bonus prize
- Should the top ranking U18 team qualify for Sweden, the next ranking U18 team will win the bonus prize
The top ranking U18 team, after the round robin has completed, will earn two certificates (one per player) for 6 hours of personal or team training (4 hours on-ice, 2 hours off ice) with one of the Center for Curling Excellence (CCE's) expert trainers like Rick Perron or Ellery Robichaud.
Format with Full Draw: Pools of 5, (2 U18 pools, 2 U21 pools). Pools play against every team in the opposite pool for the same age category. 5 game guarantee.
Championship Round Qualification: Top 8 advance based on win/loss record & cumulative last stone draw.
Draw Times Start: Friday 9:00 am. Anticipated Sunday Completion: 7:00 pm